General Meeting September 2021
Please mark your calendars for an interesting presentation by Mr. Kenton Friesen ….
No Duff, No Duff, No Duff – Wait a minute! What does that mean?
Were you just called the Designated Ugly Fat Friend (DUFF)? Absolutely not. Were you just insulted as being inferior or worthless? Not at all. This obscure term is well known by commonwealth emergency managers (i.e., Britain, Ireland, Canada, Australia, & New Zealand), but where did it come from? This question set Kenton on a journey of learning its origins but also how the word “duff” is used by society. This is a fun presentation that explores the history of the word “duff”, including current pop culture uses and is organized into the following:
- Duff Names (surnames, people, organizations, etc.)
- Duff Food (pudding, taverns, etc.)
- Duff Slang (phases, acronyms, insults, etc.)
- Duff Geography (lakes, rivers, parks, etc.)
- Duff Music (drums, lyrics, singers, etc.)
- Duff Science & Technology (reactions, dust, butterflies, etc.)
- Duff Literature & Fiction (movies, books, cartoons, etc.)
And then concludes with the “no duff” origin as well as drawing attention to the non-profit group working to support New Zealand veteran’s named NoDuff (www.noduff.org).
NoDuff – Confidential Help for Veteran’s and their Families.
The meeting will be a ZOOM meeting with details to follow.